The above is the tagline for our newest product line, ADH Brand. Created by Andrew Does Hair, someone we look up to and regard as a true hair maverick. Johnny’s Barber + Shop is stoked to be the first shop in Calgary to carry this phenomenal line, and we know our guests are going to love it as much as we do.
So why the tag line? Because it’s true – the products you buy and use in your hair are only as good as the cut you have and the techniques you use to tame that mane. If you’ve been to the shop, you know we couldn’t agree more. Best of all, there’s no talk of “hair type.” It will work with whatever you’ve got, if you are willing to put in the effort and style it right. Talk to your barber for the best way to use it in your hair.
“Pre-styling is fundamental,” says Alanna, one of our barbers. “With only two products in the entire line, you know the emphasis is there. Use a comb and blow dryer to create the structure you want, and these products will give you the perfect finish.”
“I honestly believe it’s one of the best product lines on the market right now. Neither of the products have a super unnatural look to them—nothing that looks too product-y,” agrees Michael, another one of our barbers.
1) ADH Dry: More matte than a wax, but softer and more pliable than a clay. It adds texture and creates separation while removing the “poofiness” of blow-dried hair. If you put it in damp hair and let it air-dry it, expect a surfer’s texture. More details here.
2) ADH Wet: Water based and medium weight, ADH Wet provides the shine you want without looking greasy. Think of it as a less sticky pomade that will achieve more separation than glueing your hair together. It can be applied wet or damp, but is best blow dried in (see above!). More info here.
We (as barbers) have such a unique position in the community. We get to follow up with hundreds of our Johnny's family every month and are part of the conversations and happenings within our fine city. Here at the shop our craft provides us with tons of joy. Here are our top three favourite reasons to barber....
1. As a barber we get to work with so many different types of people. Each month hundreds of guys walk through our doors. In those moments we get to hear stories, discuss current events and “solve” world problems one cut at a time.
2. Each day we get to wake up and do what we love: cut some awesome hair! There is just something about a clean cut or shave walking out of our doors, that makes us proud to be barbers.
3. We are able to express ourselves. With so many people visiting us, we get to express our craft and art through our own creativity. It is important in life to be able to be yourself, luckily we have that every day in the shop!
Here at Johnny’s we take pride in our work. Barbering is a long and respected tradition. We are proud to be part of such a timeless occupation amongst the community, every day we strive to uphold the history of this craft.
Here are a few facts you probably didn’t know:
1. In ancient Egyptian culture, barbers were highly respected individuals. Historians have found old razors amongst ancient relics, dating as far back as 3500 B.C.
2. Starting in the Middle Ages barbers were trusted with dentistry and surgery. In addition to cutting hair, they were giving the responsibility of bloodletting and leeching, extraction of teeth; earning them the name of “barber surgeons”.
3. The barber pole, featuring red and white spiraling stripes, symbolized different aspects of the craft:
White – The bandages they used during surgery.
Blue – Were the veins of the customers.
Red – Symbols of the blood (surgery, bloodletting etc…).
Although we don’t do half of those things, the art of barbering has evolved and we are proud to be part of the history. Stop by today and check out what we are all about.